Friday, August 26, 2005

THE POWER OF HABIT

I am your constant COMPANION.
I am your greatest HELPER or your
heaviest BURDEN.
I will PUSH you onward or DRAG you down to failure.
I am COMPLETELY at your command.
Half the things you do
you might as well turn over to me,
And I will be able to do them QUICKLY and CORRECTLY.
I am EASILY-MANAGED; you must merely
BE FIRM with me.
Show me exactly how you want something done,
And after a FEW LESSONS I will do it AUTOMATICALLY.
I am the SERVANT of all the great individuals
And, alas, of all failures as well.
Those who are great I have made great.
Those who are failures I have made failures.
I am not a machine
Though I work with all the PRECISION of a machine
Plus the INTELLIGENCE of a human being.
You may run me for PROFIT or run me for RUIN;
It makes no difference to me.
TAKE ME, TRAIN ME, BE FIRM WITH ME,
And I will put the world at your feet
Be easy with me
And I will destroy you.
Who am I?

I am habit!

No comments: