Thursday, October 13, 2005

Women and Gender Issue

I had no idea what CEDAW stands for. I am almost completely lost listening to the presentations of all the presenters and speakers in the seminar. At least I learned relatively a few after the end of the first day. CEDAW is actually, Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women.
I was asked by my Director to represent the Center in a two-day seminar on the said issue. We have not grounded on the topic and my boss is interested to pursue this. She said I will be the Center’s focal person as we embark on this field. Pwew!

And so everybody’s talking about the rights of women and other concerns alike. Representation from the three branches of the government and in the non-government sector completes the assembly. I happened to made ‘friends’ with the director of the Local Government Academy. Going home, she drove me back here in the office. Haha! Salamat po!

The issue on women’s rights, violence against women, gender inequality, etc., I believe, boils down to the issue of respect. Abuse and discrimination are manifestations of disrespect and inability to see the other person as equal. EQUALITY, alright. It’s a broad issue; I agree. I feel privileged to be a part of this few people who were consulted to address the concern.

It’s great news that God is a just and loving God. People may not gain the kind of respect they ever wanted but in the eyes of the Lord we ARE equal. I can settle with that. This equality in turn subjects us to specific tasks and duties we are designed to make. Our Maker is a genius Creator and we all are formed according to His blueprint. Let’s work accordingly.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s sessions. I hope I get a better grasp of the subject.

No comments: