Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The mysterious ear problem

I’ve been whining about my left ear for almost two weeks. First, my hearing became weak. Next, pain is felt every once in a while. Until finally, the pain became excruciating I couldn’t bear it anymore. Last Thursday, June 28, I was able to go to the doctor –and I did not plan to leave that place until the doctor assured me the pain will go away.

The doctor first checked both ears. My right ear is clear and in perfect condition. Inside my left ear he found a growth on the ear wall called polyp. This “abnormal tissue” blocks (nearly closed) the ear canal. It was difficult for air to get through the eardrum. At first they (the doctor and his team) thought the biggest challenge would be the polyp removal. I agreed to go on with the procedure with the knowledge that “slight” pain would be felt. (You don’t imagine the pain I’ve been through with this ear so I’m willing to take a little more just to end my suffering.) To my surprise, they didn’t give me anesthesia! Do you realize that?! It was a complete torture. I literally “called upon the name of the Lord” as I clenched my teeth in agony (I was holding on the metal bar on the side of the bed and I felt like it nearly broke!). It was not long when they found ‘another case’ even closer to the eardrum. What was actually behind the polyp is not dirt or something but keratosis. It has grown big enough to completely block the eardrum and expand the ear canal. That’s very painful!

I guess it was obvious that I could not stand the procedure any longer. The doctor ruled to have another session (!) on Sunday for the second case. On Sunday, they were able to remove the ‘thing’ successfully. Praise the Lord. It was painful alright, but the knowledge of friends and family praying for me made it more bearable. Thank God. (Besides, I do not want to scare the next patient who was a little girl.) I have follow up check up with the doctor after a week. Right now, I’m taking a lot of meds to catalyze the healing process (I normally don’t take medicines).

That Sunday, July 1st, was also our MYF big outreach for the month. I went there after the procedure and found my brethren—my MYF family with open arms happy to see me doing fine. Bro. Mark even said he thought they’re all going to rush to the hospital! Haha! Thanks, General!

This experience actually taught me a lot of things. But above all, I felt so loved. Family and friends have been very supportive and prayed on my behalf. Isn’t that one best thing to know?!

Thank you for your prayers. And thank God for his healing.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Amen! Glad to hear you are doing better. Praise God for His healing touch.