Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Goodbye, Pete! :'(

February 2004-November 27, 2006

Last Sunday, something terrible happened at home. Our dog, Charlie, bit our pet duck, Pete. I think it was really bad; Pete was so traumatized. He jumped off the creek and we only managed to catch him with a big net dipper. After he was saved, he ran off the yard and would not let anyone come near him.

I had to go to Manila that night, so I did not see Pete before I left. Last night, my sister told me that Pete cannot be located. They were searching all over and could not find him. My brother was out late in the dark to look for him. I felt really bad. I was so worried something worse had happened. Could not help but cry. This morning, she said they found Pete—dead.

This was really an accident; Pete should've not gotten near Charlie. The dog does not know him; we did not raise Charlie, so he's not familiar with the other pets. Charlie hates our cats, chickens, and of course, our duck. It has been a culture in the family that all pets know each other--by this I mean, they live in harmony. Our dogs naturally won't mind sharing its food with the cats, neither with the chickens nor a duck. The history is, Pete grew up living with our old dog Bunso. They were best buddies. Unfortunately, Bunso got sick and died. Pete thought he could befriend Charlie, perhaps because he's a dog, but that's impossibility. Since the day Charlie came, Pete always comes near him. Alas, Charlie was negative. We tried to bar Pete from getting near, but Pete would always find ways. And Sunday was the day I feared the most for Pete.

I named him Pete because he has three flipped feathers on his head like that of Peter Pan. It is so cute. Pete likes to play with everybody; tag game is his favorite. He is also very naughty; when you're not looking, be ready for a mischievous bite from this stubborn duck. At times, he terrifies children! Funny! We all love Pete.

Pete has been with the family for more than two years and had his fair share of fame from the pet lineup. He's what was left of the 15 male ducklings my father tried to raise for past time. He's certainly one unique duck who thinks he's a dog! He even sleeps at the doorsteps. So stubborn yet so cute. What I like about him the most is his ability to respond. Pete is very smart. He knows his name. Whenever he hears you call him, even if he's somewhere else, he will certainly respond with a "Quack!" and then tries his best to get to you in a flash! He's really adorable!

I told the sad news to my other brother who's away. He was so depressed; same with everybody in the family. I could imagine how sad my nieces will be when they get the message. My younger brother and sister recorded the burial rites; the other pets were there, too. My father orchestrated the event. I'm going home tonight to know the details.

I really feel sorry about this loss. It reminds me of losing my cat, Musang. So sad. We will miss you Pete. Goodbye.

2 comments:

Keith said...

I know what it's like to lose a pet. They become a part of the family.

friend said...

Worried about you - you guys alright with that crazy weather?