Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Nanay's birthday

April 10

Today is my mother’s 58th birthday. The last time she celebrated with us was six years ago; before the Lord finally called her to rest. She was a lovely woman and I’m ever grateful to be her child. Her memories are cherished forever.


My Mother

Who was it that risked her life that she might give that life to me?
Who was it that braved a thousand storms that shelter I may be?
Who was it that rocked me in her arms that I to sleep might go?
Who was it that loved me all night long yet never let me go?

This was a verse from a poem I read from a very old book in our grade school library. My classmates and I were cleaning the shelves then and the book was so worn out that I believe the teacher resolved to put it away. I really couldn’t remember who wrote it nor was the rest of the poem yet these lines strike me the most. I guess it was not very hard for me to recall after first reading since it’s a perfect description of my mom.

And may I add…

She wears the sweetest smile that calms my troubled heart.
She walks with grace and confidence that makes me stand all odds.
Her lullaby is the best melody that plays in my ear.
The song she taught has been on my lips each time I had to sing.

Her joy is like a fountain that could not be quenched.
Her eyes tell me that life is full of blissful surprises.
Her memories can bring to life all happiness and triumphs.
I could not care for anything else whenever she holds my hand.

From her I learned selflessness and sacrifice in its truest meaning.
It was for her that I learn to dream and understand how to be fulfilling.
Respect is earned and love is priceless but to her those are abounding.
She is someone I proudly call mine and hopes others had one.

I love her and I love her more everyday!
Truly, mothers are heaven’s gift!
Mine is the best I received!


The child who knows how to love is the one who was loved.’ I miss her so much. Happy Birthday Nanay!

No comments: