Monday, July 03, 2006

Valiant Warriors, True Gents

I have not enjoyed boxing in years until last Sunday. The bout, Mano A Mano (WBC Superfeatherweight Division Championship) at the Araneta Coliseum between my countryman Manny Pacquiao and Mexican Oscar Larios was really remarkable. I just love every second spent in the ring. Manny is a southpaw while Larios owns a strong right. The battle ended in a beautiful 12-round decision.

Everybody expects a glaring knock out win for Manny. However, it ended up a Decision still in favor of our champ. I’m happy for the win. But more than ever, I really admired the hearts of both Larios and Manny. As if they were best friends playing their sport. I personally don’t want Larios to fall—at least he will have a decent, honorable defeat—he remained standing. I gentleman should be given due honor and that’s what I want Larios to have after he stepped down from the ring.

Manny is the pride of our land. His charisma to the Filipinos is unbelievable. Not only because he constantly brings honor to the Philippines but because Manny carries a humble Filipino spirit. He started out as a young country lad fighter and transformed into a respected champion because of his discipline and determination. People from all walks of life love him dearly. He has always dedicated every bout to the people. And most of all, he always make it a point to unite the people even for just a single fight in the ring. Honestly, if there’s one thing that Filipinos would agree without any variance, that’s when they speak about Pacquiao.

Now, I want to give my admiration to the challenger, Oscar Larios. He is one-strong fist himself. Wow! I have always dreamed of seeing a fight like he did last Sunday. He’s very apologetic, a clean fighter, with great endurance, and simply a good person. He acknowledges blows from his opponent and even able to give a smile or a nod. No trace of a grumpy, fierce fighter at all. He is a gentleman. I know fighters can be like that. Thank you Larios for making me see one. He is a sweet father to four girls! Haha! Wonderful father I may guess!

I wanted to quote Larios’ interview after the fight, “I am 100% prepared for this fight—mentally and physically. I really wanted to defeat Manny. But at the end of the fight, I lost to a great champion.” He then thanked the people with his, “Salamat, Pilipinas!” (Thank you, Philippines). And the crowd roared with respect and gratitude. At that moment, it seemed as if he won the bout.

Manny is a true champion. Larios really had a hard time nailing his feet on the ground. He fell twice, one on the seventh round and the other, on the twelfth. But he managed to remain standing to the end. He is a good fighter himself.

I just wish I would always see a fight as clean and beautiful as this one. Boxing maybe a harsh sport, but that doesn’t mean you can not find gentlemen inside the ring.

4 comments:

Keith said...

I did not know Manny was fighting last Sunday. Was it on TV or just on locally there in the Phillipines? Glad to hear he won though. Sounds like the other fighter was a true warrior and a gentleman in defeat. Did you get to see the fight in person?

Pinay said...

The fight was here in the Philippines. I don't know if they aired it abroad. At least the Filipino channel abroad aired it, i know. It's a WBC championship match and everybody else (people you see when the fight is done is Las Vegas) was there. Even Michael Buffer! Haha!

No, I did not get to see the fight in person. We watched at home like every one did. Funny because you would not see people on the streets (not even vehicles) during the fight. The report says, crime rate was 0! Filipinos unite when it comes to boxing, esp. when Pacquiao is inside the ring. And Yes, Larios is a good fighter and respectable opponent.

Everybody's looking forward for the Pacquiao-Morales rematch on November 18. That's in Las Vegas.

Keith said...

I would love to see the Pacquiao-Morales fight. Did you know that Las Vegas is only 6 hours away from where I live? But a Pacquiao-Morales fight would be a very expensive ticket. I'll just settle for the TV version.

Pinay said...

Yes, I know tickets are expensive. Even the one last Sunday was really for the rich! Ringside tickets cost as much as P52,000+. That's so much money! I will just settle at our house and be comfortable in our TV set.