Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Poem

I had an urge to write a poem this morning. Here’s the first draft:


Woman
By Pinay, 21 February 2008

Each morning I wake up hopeful of a better today;
Whispering prayers of trust and assurance,
Gearing myself with smile and pride,
Walking in faith armored with love.

I am the one at the corner
Tying the ends left undone.
Many times I stay in the shadows
To push on and make you shine.

My words can be as gentle as a cat.
Listen when I speak to understand my heart.
I can be daring, yes, you’ll be surprised
Though I certainly know when to subside.

I like flowers and details of sorts.
I can enjoy petty things like a pot of gold.
Do not think I’m unreasonable once I made up my mind.
The logic of my action is more than what it signifies.

I am the defender of order since time immemorial.
I won’t mind your business just make sure it’s done right.
Company is enjoyable; loneliness is hostile
But for solitude and serenity I would pay a price.

I am called in many names;
I know that for a fact.
Within this revered sight
A soul endures to bring life.

Favors are not what I intend to have;
Respect is what is due me.
Love defines who I am.
Time belongs to me.

You find me strong, yes, I am.
My heart is full of courage though marred with strife.
No, I am not selfish; I know my rights.
Sacrifice, if I may say, understates my role and act.

I don’t really mind how you sound; I want you to sing.
Make me laugh and I will consider your whims.
It may seem absurd but ‘I remember everything.’
Treat me as a princess and I will be like your queen.

Who am I?
I am a woman.

No comments: