Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A day made early

I decided to wait across the gasoline station by the diversion road for the bus going to work. Not more than five minutes later, I saw the bus and found a good seat. (Two things: I didn’t wait for nearly two hours to get a ride plus I didn’t have to suffer standing on the bus with people from all sides bumping on me.) As the bus rolled, some more passengers came in, until more than a handful had to stand. Then clambed a lady with three children: one boy, around seven or eight; a girl, about five; and a toddler, not more than two years old whom she carries in her arms. There were no more seats available and without second thoughts, I called her attention, stood up and gave her my seat. There were several men with (good) seats who chose to ignore the lady and her kids. I don’t have the heart to see mothers standing especially if I could do something about it. Before I got off the bus she thanked me at least twice. And her smile was enough to make my day.

No comments: